Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Deadline: 9 September, 2015, 18:00
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Organizational Development Specialist will be responsible for providing primary technical assistance to core partner organizations receiving institutional strengthening grants under Freedom House’s USAID-funded program in Kyrgyzstan. This position is based primarily in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan with regular travel to the south of the country. The position reports to the Project Director in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field; Master’s degree in nonprofit management, public administration, international development or other relevant field is desired.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in the field of organizational development, particularly in the human rights nonprofit sector.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing multi-year institutional strengthening plans with civil society organizations
- Proven track record in fundraising and in developing sustainable fundraising plans for organizations.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within democracy and human rights international development community
- Ability to develop excellent relationships with the human rights community, including the Government of Kyrgyzstan, donors, civil society, activists, international organizations, and others.
- Advanced written and oral English and Russian language skills are required.
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz and/or Uzbek will be an added advantage.
- Relevant experience in managing human rights and/or civil society programs, with a minimum of 5 years in a management position.
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Excellent negotiation, conflict prevention and resolution skills, as well as the ability to lead and build consensus, cooperation, and coalitions among individuals with competing interests.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Strengthening of organizational capacity for local civil society organizations. Working with organizations receiving core subgrants from Freedom House to strengthen their capacity for program design, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, strategic planning, sustainability, and internal governance.
- Establishing a strong reputation for Freedom House’s work in the south of Kyrgyzstan.
- Analyze organizational structures, responsibilities, team work, business or operating procedures, reporting relationships and work processes of sub-grantees to ensure adherence to organization’s goals
- Provide technical assistance and change management support for institutional strengthening to sub-grantees, including process re-engineering, organizational effectiveness, employee capacity training
- Design, develop, implement and evaluate various programs, processes and large-scale initiatives across the organization.
- Develop and implement sustainable fundraising strategies
- Develops strategies for the delivery of programs and services that meet community needs as well as USAID’s requirements
- Measure organization process across a multi-year institutional strengthening strategy
- Encourage employee development through the development and execution of trainings, initiatives and strategies.
- Work with Grants Manager in Bishkek and M&E Specialist in Washington, DC to ensure proper financial management and monitoring and evaluation training of sub-grantees
- Work with appropriate Freedom House staff in the US and Bishkek to ensure proper financial management and monitoring and evaluation of core partners
- Report monthly on progress of partner organizations
- Other tasks as required by the Project Director or Freedom House U.S. staff
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salaryby the closing date: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH10/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FREEHOUS&cws=1&rid=96#.VD-trfmSx0a (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Kyrgyzstan.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.